Tuesday, January 3

I'm a Nomad

Last Christmas' Eve and New Year's Eve, I was yet again a nomad. For the 4th consecutive New Year's Eve and for 3 Christmases, I was again, an "ampon" of the AƱonuevos. Even if they welcome me into their familial events, sometimes, I still cannot help but think that I might be imposing myself too much into their family. Oh well, next time, I will bring lots of goodies to make up for my presence again! Ahaha.





But that's not really the point of my blog entry. The point is, when I met one of SJ's childhood friends a.k.a. also one of his village friends, he asked me where I lived. And for a split-second, (actually, it was not a split-second, it took me like 3 seconds to think of how to answer) I did not know how to answer the simple question. Was he asking me my "permanent address", where I was born and where I grew up? Or was he asking me my "semi-permanent address", where I resided for almost 6 years during my college years? Or was he asking me where I went home everyday because it's the house that shelters me, my dog and my stuff?





And so, I answered him, "Pasig", thinking that I should just mention the place where my Lola lives, so if he asks about it, I could just mention my grandmother. End of story. And yet, SJ mentions the boarding house. Oh yeah! My boarding house is also IN Pasig. Stupid me! How could I forget? I guess, it is because I also wanted to say that I 'also' live in Davao City, and yet I do not even memorize the address where my mom, sister and brother lived in now. That is because, for the nth time, they moved to another house again. A new address to memorize again.

I really can't believe the countless times my mom decides to move from one house to another. And because of that, I guess, I have her to blame of not having childhood and village friends like SJ does. I dont' have friends, who I actually "grew up together with." I don't have friends who live in the same village I lived in ever since I could walk. And I will never have that. Ever. It sucks that I do not have friends who I could talk about the things we used to do 20 years ago. Damn! I don't think I even have a childhood bestfriend, like Klar does! I don't know who I will choose as my "maid of honor" when I finally decide to get married. Who will know me best? Who will be able to help me decide which would be the best wedding dress? The best venue? Etc etc. And it really sucks to think I do not have anyone in mind! But then again, that is still a long time from now. In 5-6 years, I might find someone who will be my bestfriend, who I might decide to be my "maid of honor" someday... ;)





And thinking about it, it all just boils down to this need of "permanency." To have one address to answer when someone asks me where I live. To have one home to go home to. To have a place that I could call my "own" and maybe finally have "village" or "condo friends" who I could be friends with for the next 30 years or so... Hay. Someday! Someday I will have that!

And for those with friends that I do not have, cherish them. Not everyone has them.

1 comment: